Microsoft refactoring their console in Windows 10!!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

hbelusca
Developer

Microsoft refactoring their console in Windows 10!!

Post by hbelusca »

Microsoft FINALLY understood that their console UI was a bit dusty and they now start to revamp (at least, improve it)!! :D :D For more details, please read:
http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2 ... l-preview/
Everybody can also add their idea (or comment on existing ideas) there: http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/266908

I think it's one the continuity of their console architectural changes that started in Windows 7, with the introduction of conhost.exe that hosted all of the console functionality (before it was in winsrv.dll that was run via csrss.exe), and then adding some kind of console driver condrv.sys on Windows 8 (that makes all sense when you check how console works on MinWin 8).

Guys, please :D :D , vote a maximum for my idea of making Microsoft fixing the console graphics screenbuffer functionality: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/2669 ... eenbuffers that still exists on Windows, but was bugged (accidentally?) in Windows 7. We use this functionality in our NTVDM for maximum console integration when running DOS graphics programs (and their NTVDM does, too, as I explain it in the idea I posted on their site).
Black_Fox

Re: Microsoft refactoring their console in Windows 10!!

Post by Black_Fox »

"We couldn't submit your vote at this time." :(

I tried the new Win10 cmd.exe and by default it has line selection, Ctrl+C meaning Copy and Ctrl+V meaning Paste. Didn't remember to try also increasing width by pulling the window border.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

So had it killed Ctrl+C Interrupt and Ctrl+Pause kill signal?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

erkinalp wrote:So had it killed Ctrl+C Interrupt and Ctrl+Pause kill signal?
Maybe, I haven't tested (since I don't have Win10 :p ), and if so, I think you should disable those new extensions.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Oh, I see! It's actually quite intelligent. On selected text Ctrl+C copies and unselects, while otherwise it still interrupts as expected.
By the way, it's done quite well now - cmd.exe window can be resized in both ways, and if you make it narrower, the text is reflowed just like in Mac terminal (unline Linux terminal)!
See here for what the new experimental features are: http://prntscr.com/4v30nc
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Black_Fox wrote:By the way, it's done quite well now - cmd.exe window can be resized in both ways, and if you make it narrower, the text is reflowed just like in Mac terminal (unline Linux terminal)!
It breaks text-based games unfortunately :(
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

erkinalp wrote:
Black_Fox wrote:By the way, it's done quite well now - cmd.exe window can be resized in both ways, and if you make it narrower, the text is reflowed just like in Mac terminal (unline Linux terminal)!
It breaks text-based games unfortunately :(
For those you need to disable the extended functionalities.