How many of you still use Windows XP?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: How many of you still use Windows XP?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

florian wrote: Compared to following NT-based Operating Systems like my Win 7: no.
XP is an NT based o/s.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Michael Long wrote: The more time passes by, the more secure it becomes (viruses crash instead of doing damage).
This is not really the case now though as XP is still vulnerable to many of the same Windows vulnerabilities as Windows 10. As time goes on, if the current version of Windows evolves and ends up fundamentally and architecturally different to XP then it could be the case that virus/trojan writers stop creating viruses that affect XP simply because the technology has changed so much and the target audience for XP is too insignificant to warrant focussing on it directly. That isn't the case today, XP has a decent market share and the users are worth targetting and XP is vulnerable to many of the same exploits.

However, this may be the case for running Windows 3.11 today (you might be quite safe to do so as no-one is writing new exploits for Win 3.11) but as XP and Windows 10 are still similar enough to be affected by the same vulnerabilities and no-one is updating regular XP on a frequent basis, then you'd be wrong to think you are safer running XP at the moment.

So, your comment is technically true for the future but is not valid today.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Konata

Post by Konata »

The issue isn't viruses. If someone can run code on your machine you're screwed no matter what. OS exploits don't matter so much if I can access the file system through the official API anyway. The concern is with networking vulnerabilities like buffer overflows that allow for arbitrary code execution. And if it doesn't get patched, then it's there forever, just like it is for 2000. If I can connect to the same network a 2000 machine is on I can easily ACE it. Not so much for still-supported versions, those get patched immediately. XP's the only case I've ever heard of where MS patched an out-of-service version just because they recently found one of those exploits.
Example: This video.
Michael Long wrote: The more time passes by, the more secure it becomes (viruses crash instead of doing damage).
Malware supports a system long after all legitimate software stopped, a good decade, probably. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still people looking for XP exploits, years after all the software I know stopped supporting it. Actually, I know people are still looking for exploits in it. Using software outdated by a decade isn't very viable, ever, unless you're doing it for hobby reasons. That, coupled with using an outdated, exploitable system that people are still actively looking for cracks in, and your statement is about as backwards as it can get.
florian

Post by florian »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
florian wrote: Compared to following NT-based Operating Systems like my Win 7: no.
XP is an NT based o/s.
Despite "following" and "my" I apologize for beeing unclear. As a former user of Win 98 SE and Win XP I am aware of its Kernel - and its history of beeing the first broad public OS with NT.

Well, back in those days mother's big business entrepreneur used Win NT 4.0. But not the consumers. We experienced constant battles with our "agony of choice": Win 98 SE... And Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) was almost too fast succeeded by Windows XP (NT 5.1) to remember it. Win XP was the striking success and the end of DOS-based Operating Systems. That's why we loved XP's NT-Kernel and its - by its predecessors - industrial proved stability.

Or would anyone like to ask how many of us still use Win 95 or Win 98 (SE)? Probably not.
Or could you imagine a cash machine running Win 98 with all its crashes?...
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

florian wrote:
dizt3mp3r wrote:
XP is an NT based o/s.
Despite "following" and "my" I apologize for beeing unclear. As a former user of Win 98 SE and Win XP I am aware of its Kernel - and its history of beeing the first broad public OS with NT.

Well, back in those days mother's big business entrepreneur used Win NT 4.0. But not the consumers. We experienced constant battles with our "agony of choice": Win 98 SE... And Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) was almost too fast succeeded by Windows XP (NT 5.1) to remember it. Win XP was the striking success and the end of DOS-based Operating Systems. That's why we loved XP's NT-Kernel and its - by its predecessors - industrial proved stability.

Or would anyone like to ask how many of us still use Win 95 or Win 98 (SE)? Probably not.
Or could you imagine a cash machine running Win 98 with all its crashes?...
hi when i fix my old computer i am going to install windows 98se on it and i have windows 98se on my netbook but it is missing drivers so i can not use it i am a hobbyist developer i use visual studio express 2008 sp1 so i am still supporting windows xp and my netbook came withe windows XP home
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

MadWolf wrote: hi when i fix my old computer i am going to install windows 98se on it and i have windows 98se on my netbook but it is missing drivers so i can not use it i am a hobbyist developer i use visual studio express 2008 sp1 so i am still supporting windows xp and my netbook came withe windows XP home
Will you have an old version of Word? More importantly, will it have a grammar checker?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
MadWolf wrote: hi when i fix my old computer i am going to install windows 98se on it and i have windows 98se on my netbook but it is missing drivers so i can not use it i am a hobbyist developer i use visual studio express 2008 sp1 so i am still supporting windows xp and my netbook came withe windows XP home
Will you have an old version of Word? More importantly, will it have a grammar checker?
OMG.... Nothing newer than Office 2000 works there. Why... OH WHY do people do such things??!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

How stable is ReactOS compared to Windows 98/Me ?
If ReactOS is stable enough then use ReactOS.
Libre Office and AbiWord Works on ReactOS.
:)
Open Your Windows To Freedom
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Any word processor or editor that has a grammar checker would be useful... ;)
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

If internet is available then there are online grammar checkers.
:)
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
NO!!! i do not use any part of Microsoft office, Word at home my old PC is for old PC games that has problems running on my new computer and it will be offline same as my xp net-book
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

From time to time you'll definitely need that grammar checker though. :D
Konata

Post by Konata »

Even Firefox from 2007 has a built-in spellcheck so I don't see what the issue is.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

There is no issue really. It is more of a statement - grammar checkers are just useful. Especially when posting.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

The issue is mental.
A psychologist should be able to properly explain the reasons behind mental retro-order.
However, according to psychiatrist's the medicine for this specific case seems to be ReactOS.