How many of you still use Windows XP?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

Re: How many of you still use Windows XP?

Post by tomleem »

There is a Speedway gas and convenience store in Hampton NH that still uses it. The church I go to has it on their computer. I see it being used by some businesses.
:geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Konata

Post by Konata »

When I went to my local McDonald's a few days ago I saw they had new PoS machines and I heard a Windows 7 "ding" come from one, so I guess even McDonald's is finally upgrading from MS-DOS.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Keep in mind that the Microsoft Windows XP Point of Sale edition is STILL SUPPORTED. And for such purposes, there is nothing wrong with that.

I get so sick and tired of idiots parroting marketoid FUD about "security" and how anything oooold is magically "insecure".

Newsflash: Your current up-to-date Windows 11 (or whatever) installation HAS SECURITY HOLES! If you don't believe me, bookmark this post and come back in a year and see how many exploits have been found. If anyone thinks that the difference between publicly known and "unknown" holes is different, then they need a slap upside the head. How do you absolutely, positively know that nobody knows about or exploits security holes that are not yet publicly documented?

All it takes is a few reasonable networking and application precautions to keep any OS reasonably safe. Just because many people aren't willing to take such precautions does not mean that some more knowledgeable people aren't, and they should not be ridiculed for doing so.
Konata

Post by Konata »

SomeGuy wrote:Keep in mind that the Microsoft Windows XP Point of Sale edition is STILL SUPPORTED. And for such purposes, there is nothing wrong with that.

I get so sick and tired of idiots parroting marketoid FUD about "security" and how anything oooold is magically "insecure".

Newsflash: Your current up-to-date Windows 11 (or whatever) installation HAS SECURITY HOLES! If you don't believe me, bookmark this post and come back in a year and see how many exploits have been found. If anyone thinks that the difference between publicly known and "unknown" holes is different, then they need a slap upside the head. How do you absolutely, positively know that nobody knows about or exploits security holes that are not yet publicly documented?

All it takes is a few reasonable networking and application precautions to keep any OS reasonably safe. Just because many people aren't willing to take such precautions does not mean that some more knowledgeable people aren't, and they should not be ridiculed for doing so.
A major concern is buffer overflow and arbitrary code execution attacks, as buffer overflows were much more common vulnerabilities in the pre-Vista world and about a dozen of them were patched out of XP already. There even may eventually be some MS can't patch as they refused to do with 2000 because it would change the architecture too dramatically and cause application incompatibility. Not to mention older computers running XP might not even have a processor with newer security instructions that prevent treating data as code and allowing further ACE attacks. And in general, XP is just more vulnerable because of it's always-root policy that was thankfully remedied in Vista. It's a lot of small factors that can equal unforeseen security risks and, if your system is really old, it's a good idea to invest in a new, modern system. Especially now that XP isn't long for support and the IT world is becoming more security-aware.
Also you should really calm down.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Just pull the ethernet plug out completely or wrap the wireless antennae in tin foil. Safety more or less assured.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
florian

Post by florian »

SomeGuy wrote:Keep in mind that the Microsoft Windows XP Point of Sale edition is STILL SUPPORTED. And for such purposes, there is nothing wrong with that.
Well, but probably no one of us is using Windows XP POS... (which is as far as I know supported until 2019). And our normal Windows XP is not anymore supported.
SomeGuy wrote:Your current up-to-date Windows 11 (or whatever) installation HAS SECURITY HOLES!
Of course. Nobody would deny this because otherwise there would be no security updates. And security updates are far better than our unsupported Windows XP without them.
SomeGuy wrote:All it takes is a few reasonable networking and application precautions to keep any OS reasonably safe. Just because many people aren't willing to take such precautions does not mean that some more knowledgeable people aren't, and they should not be ridiculed for doing so.
Unfortunately a vintage or veteran car is not as safe as modern car with Airbags and for instance ABS etc. Let's think of Microsoft's optional Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) which is targeted mostly at system Administrators. Older versions can be still used on Windows XP, but not all features (like SEHOP or ASLR) are then available. Thus, Windows XP can be considered to be less secure.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

If you are using XP can you test this for me?

https://yereverluvinuncleber.deviantart ... -721172390

My XP system is down and I cannot test it as I normally would all my widgets. I expect an issue or two... though it works on Vista, Win 7,8,10 plus and OSX Sierra

This widget is a hole in your screen (burnt by the Martians) that can be moved around the desktop and placed where you like. It sits underneath all other widgets and other desktop items exposing the inner workings of your broken screen.

If you drop any desktop item (shortcuts, files, documents &c) it will automatically place those into the appropriate folder, for example .doc files will be moved to the my documents folder. If it fails to recognise a specific file type then you can manually add that extension to the list and it will deal with them from that point on.

[ external image ]

If I had a version of ReactOS that could run the Yahoo widget engine I'd test it on that now!
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

I am sorry, dizt3mp3r, I had fucked something up my old PC which requires a re-install of Windows XP (had installed the SP4 unofficial patch with the latest improvements and that seems to consume too much RAM, the PC is too old anyways). I'll pickup a XP VM nevertheless.

By the way, the link you provided is broken. Could you please give me a working one?
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
justincase

Post by justincase »

Fraizeraust wrote:By the way, the link you provided is broken. Could you please give me a working one?
Take off the 1 at the end.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Sorry for the broken link and thanks for trying to help.

New link is here:

Merry Christmas to you all!
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

@dizt3mp3r: Sent you a PM.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Merry Christmas to you all!
You too.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Fraiser, Thanks for that testing, if you get a chance please drop into any other folders and see if any of them do not work. The widget has eight default folders that it can use to tidy the desktop, as you drop a file from the desktop if it is a known-type then it should go into the correct folder. It was built on Windows 7/10 and there may be a difference in the way it handles the default folders that I am unaware of. Testing reassures!

Just posting your image - needs a steampunk background!

[ external image ]

Adcock - Thanks for that seasons response!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Tried installing Yahoo widgets SDK on ReactOS daily build without success. The installer actually ran and came close to completion with two undecipherable error messages, will flag them on JIRA.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Today MS will patch Windows to fix the Intel kernel memory vulnerability. It will patch Win10 and hopefully Win 7 and if so the patch should also be applicable to Vista and Win 8.

XP users should watch out to see if MS offer a patch for XP.

If not then it is a definite nail in the coffin for XP as an internet-facing o/s as it potentially allows access to ring 0 kernel memory from ring 3 user processes. At worst this could potentially allow any user program even web-based javascript programs to access kernel memory and inject code to compromise the system.

IF MS does not offer a patch ( I think it will) then it is time to take XP off the 'net accept that XP was a great o/s but its days are numbered. All XP diehards need to start to accept this (even me!).