What would you do when ReactOS would cross XP?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

What would you do when ReactOS would cross XP?

Post by Adcock »

It seems many people in this forum still use XP.
Here is a sweet question for them and may be for others too.
What would you do when ReactOS would become 100% XP compatible and would start to implement Vista or 7?
Would you fork it?
What would you do?
middings

Re: What would you do when ReactOS would cross XP?

Post by middings »

When ReactOS becomes suitable for use in production then I will use it for tasks that I currently perform with Microsoft Windows XP. If on that happy day, ReactOS developers begin to revise ReactOS for compatibility with a newer version of Microsoft Windows then I will experiment with that version of ReactOS.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I don't really care what ReactOS next aim is as long as it reaches its current goal. ALL I need is a snappy o/s that is responsive and usable and that means not written by MS. Windows 10 is bloated and heavy in operation, Win 7 is better, XP was a usable desktop interface on a decent o/s whose time has passed due to the lack of support and development. Supported XP is really what I want, if ReactOS is that, then it'll do. It must be themeable and customisable down the very last element, more so than XP if possible, desktop, folder and control panel icons &c.

It must not crash and it must run stuff. I will then use it as an o/s, surprising eh?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

dizt3mp3r wrote:It must not crash and it must run stuff. I will then use it as an o/s, surprising eh?
This. As soon as that happens, I'll throw away Windows and never look back.
Konata

Post by Konata »

I'd use it for embedded stuff, if it ever makes it to ARM. Unfortunately XP's API is just way too outdated now, nothing even works on it anymore. I'll still be eagerly watching the project as it transitions to targeting Vista+.
I'm actually more interested in the project for embedded/dedicated systems rather than a desktop Windows replacement. I couldn't care less what I'm running my stupid games on, but I want to actually make sure my embedded systems are actually mine and not have to mess with stupid licensing.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I would use ReactOS as a platform for older games and software. Even as a daily OS.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

As I've said before on this, I'd hope that they'd freeze the best XP-compatible implementation and work on 7.
linrx

Post by linrx »

Might dual boot Windows 7 SP1 Starter on a HP netbook with React OS.