reactos development

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

ineedhelp

reactos development

Post by ineedhelp »

hello, I was wondering if you guys give tutorials to beginners so they can learn to be more advanced so they can code in the NT kernel / or make applications. I never coded in any language other than python java, and javascript so if it is possible can you give tutorials on C++ for application programming like coding new web browsers or 3d games or something like that?
cernodile

Re: reactos development

Post by cernodile »

I don't think you really can just "jump" into developing NT kernel and it's components without prior knowledge of C. I'd suggest that you actually take your time to learn it instead of rushing it. Seeing the languages you've learned, I think you're going to have a hard time relearning some of the fundamentals.

Google is your best friend in this case. I've seen several friends of mine also benefit from reading books related to C and C++.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
philipbutler

Post by philipbutler »

Off course you need to know C, C# and C++ very well to work with NT. If you don't know these languages normal work with NT is almost impossible
Hi to everybody here
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

C# ?? lol... I develop ReactOS and I just knew the very very basics of C# and I think I forgot it.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

@philipbutler: The NT code (and here I'm talking about the kernel and drivers) it's made up of C in its entirety and a few bit of Assembly for the sake of portability. Whilst C++ is used for applications and other stuff. C# often belongs to .NET so this is not a critical priority for a beginner to learn this language.

@ineedhelp: This link contains a plethora of other link sources to tutorials for C/C++, Windows Internals and so forth. It's worth to check them. Once you got the skills, Programming Guidelines and Coding Style are also worth reading them so that your code contributions will be accepted by other developer members.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
Gitbit

Post by Gitbit »

Hey,check out this part of forum.
There alot off great and useful staff.
viewforum.php?f=22
I had a few questions. There was a solution
Regards Bit ;)