Open Source Strategy, a report from Mozilla

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

middings

Open Source Strategy, a report from Mozilla

Post by middings »

Mozilla recently published a paper titled "Open Source Archetypes: A framework For Purposeful Open Source". In the paper, ten categories or "archetypes" of open source project organization and management were described. The paper can be downloaded from a link in the Mozilla blog article "What’s Your Open Source Strategy? Here Are 10 Answers…" by Patrick Finch published on May 15, 2018.

I found the archetypes described the authors of the paper (they admit that there are probably more than ten) interesting. I post this in case others in the ReactOS community, including other ReactOS fans like myself, are also interested in the ideas in the Mozilla paper.
ThFabba
Developer

Re: Open Source Strategy, a report from Mozilla

Post by ThFabba »

Thanks, that was an interesting read (well I just read the archetype descriptions not the whole thing).
Now let's discuss what archetype we want to become and how to get there ;)
middings

Post by middings »

Of the open source project archetypes listed in the article, I think the ReactOS project most resembles Rocket Ship to Mars. Most active open source projects probably fit the Rocket Ship to Mars archetype. ReactOS also shares some attributes of the Wide Open archetype,

I looked at the Quick-Reference Comparison Of All Archetypes in the Mozilla article. This is how I think the ReactOS project matches up to them:

In my opinion, the ReactOS project shares these attributes of the of the Rocket Ship to Mars archetype: "focused... in a specific area", "collaboration only available from those who share a very specific vision" and technical knowledge, "everything depends on success of original vision", onboarding new developers and testers is "hard", community standards are "focused on core group", and success is measured by "adoption by target users" and "achieving original technical goals".

The ReactOS project also shares these attributes of the Wide Open archetype: "large-scale collaboration; community can become self-sustaining", "effort (required) to maintain onboarding paths & manage all participants", "differing commitment & engagement levels among participants", perceived development speed is "slow", and participation is "open to anyone".

Because of ReactOS's nature, the project shares two important attributes of the Specialty Library archetype: the typical core participant type is "developers with expertise in the relevant field", and onboarding of developers and testers "depends on technical complexity" which for ReactOS is very high.

I suggest another archetype for ReactOS that is absent from the list compiled by the authors of the Mozilla paper. I call it the Wagon Train. The goal is big. Progress appears slow but it is steady. The project has a specific goals and vision. Achievement of the project's goals depends on a small number of very technically skilled people, a larger portion of participants contribute to the project but only in small or peripheral ways, but most of the project community have relatively low commitment and engagement levels.
jemir

Post by jemir »

really useful information! Thanks a lot for sharing
Hi!
philipbutler

Post by philipbutler »

yes, it is really helpful
Hi to everybody here