Questions about ReactOS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

jaisonpaul

Questions about ReactOS

Post by jaisonpaul »

Hello, I loved the idea of ReactOS, especially because my old laptop doesn't run well in GNU/Linux and in any other Windows OS that is not Windows XP (currently I have Windows XP and PCLinuxOS installed in my computer). And even with a new computer, I think in using ReacOS in dual-boot with GNU/Linux when it be in a stable version, I have a heart for Windows XP despite the fact this one be a proprietary software.

Since ReactOS is not ready yet, my questions will be more for the "final" version of ReeactOS, I mean version 1.0.

My questions:

Can I say that ReactOS 1.0 will be ready for daily use by end users?

Seems that ReactOS is based in Windows XP (how it works?), but Windows XP is an abandonned OS, many software developers no more provide new versions of their softwares for Windows XP (I know it very well...). I know that ReactOS still is an alpha OS, but does ReactOS has the compatibility issues of Windows XP regarding new softwares? For example: I can't install Firefox 59 in Windows XP, can I install it in ReactOS?

Will ReactOS 1.0 support my Windows XP drivers? But since I don't know whether my old laptop will be working when ReactOS 1.0 be realesed, I make the same question for the new drivers: will ReactOS 1.0 support Windows 10~11 drivers? By drivers I mean video drivers, wifi drivers, printer drivers, etc.

Since ReactOS has similar architecture of Windows, could we simply install things like Microsoft's DirectX in ReactOS 1.0? Or you have to write all of the basic Microsoft softwares from scratch?

I know that nobody has a crystal ball and the unexpected always happens, but considering the current speed of the development, what is the prevision for the release of the version 1.0?

What advantages has ReactOS over WINE, which is run over GNU/Linux?

Will ReactOS have support for Linux software that Windows hasn't compatibility, like Okular? Will be possible to install desktop environments like GNOME in ReactOS?
karlexceed

Re: Questions about ReactOS

Post by karlexceed »

jaisonpaul wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm Can I say that ReactOS 1.0 will be ready for daily use by end users?
That's the goal for 1.0 - that ROS has become a stable, (mostly) feature-complete NT 5.2 compatible system.
jaisonpaul wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm does ReactOS has the compatibility issues of Windows XP regarding new softwares?
Currently, yes. Most program installers check the OS they're running on and will quit immediately on XP. That said, there is a Vista+ compatibility layer that is currently being worked on to allow newer software to be installed.
jaisonpaul wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm Will ReactOS 1.0 support my Windows XP drivers?
That's the goal, yes.
jaisonpaul wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm will ReactOS 1.0 support Windows 10~11 drivers?
Probably not.
jaisonpaul wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm could we simply install things like Microsoft's DirectX in ReactOS 1.0?
Yes.
jaisonpaul wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm what is the prevision for the release of the version 1.0?
No timelines are given for 1.0
jaisonpaul wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm What advantages has ReactOS over WINE
ReactOS uses WINE internally. It doesn't really make sense to try and compare them.
jaisonpaul wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm Will ReactOS have support for Linux software that Windows hasn't compatibility, like Okular? Will be possible to install desktop environments like GNOME in ReactOS?
No, think of ROS as Windows. Same same, but different. The only Linux software you'd be able to install is what is also built for Windows.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

You do know windows 10 has a linux compatability layer that lets you use a linux console on windows? Maybe we could add this WAY later.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Q: Can I say that ReactOS 1.0 will be ready for daily use by end users?
A: That's part of the goal.

Q: Does ReactOS has the compatibility issues of Windows XP regarding new softwares? For example: I can't install Firefox 59 in Windows XP, can I install it in ReactOS?
A: Perhaps. A lot of software tests to see if Vista or even higher is even installed. But there is a way around this in the works.

Q: Will ReactOS 1.0 support my Windows XP drivers?
A: That's part of the goal.

Q: Will ReactOS 1.0 support Windows 10~11 drivers? By drivers I mean video drivers, wifi drivers, printer drivers, etc.
A: Not until/unless we change kernel compatibility targets.

Q: Since ReactOS has similar architecture of Windows, could we simply install things like Microsoft's DirectX in ReactOS 1.0? Or you have to write all of the basic Microsoft softwares from scratch?
A: Mostly yes. However, you may find hurdles in getting such libraries, since Microsoft uses Windows Genuine Advantage to discover what you are using and allow or deny access. So the website and/or the files may check to see what Windows version you are running. However, the goal is that if you can get DirectX and/or various runtime libraries, you would be able to install that.

Q: What is the provision for the release of the version 1.0?
A: We do not give out timelines. While the pace seems to be increasing, 1.0 is still a long ways off from what I gather.

Q: What advantages has ReactOS over WINE, which is run over GNU/Linux?
A: If you mean ReactOS by itself as opposed to Linux with Wine, then you'd be able to use Windows drivers. Plus the overall experience should be more like running Windows. Now, as pointed out before, ReactOS uses parts of Wine, so it makes little sense to compare.

Q: Will ReactOS have support for Linux software that Windows hasn't compatibility, like Okular?
A: No. ReactOS is comparable to Windows, just open source, and yet using no code that comes directly from Microsoft. ReactOS could in theory be given a Posix subsystem to run such things, but then so could Windows, but there is little interest in pursuing that at this time, though nobody is keeping 3rd party developers from making this possible under Windows (and thus ReactOS too).

Q: Will be possible to install desktop environments like GNOME in ReactOS?
A: Yes, if you install the Windows version.