Playing on ReactOS?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

jaisinghotra

Playing on ReactOS?

Post by jaisinghotra »

Hi,

Is ReactOS Stable enough to run games, Steam games for example? I know it is based on Wine, so if a game runs on Wine, is it reasonable to assume it'll run on ReactOS as well?

Thanks!
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Playing on ReactOS?

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope. WIne is used for a few libraries, but the big amount of code making it a real OS is not that stable yet. Some games work, but it's far away from being a gaming OS. See my sig
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

Always you can test your favorite games and if they don't work, let's debug! :D :D
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

You might be more likely at this point to get Sega Genesis games to work using an emulator like Gens. I tried that on an old copy of ROS and you could play such games, albeit without sound. Assuming it still runs, it might be more playable now since there is less of a chance for random crashes (kernel leaks) or filesystem corruption when you save sessions (though I'd still be wary of using it on a machine with important data on it).

When it comes to Steam, Origin, etc., you first have to load the game manager, then you have to load the game, assuming the game manager could run. Game support at this point is hit and miss.