Reviewers say there's no browser?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kevin Castro

Reviewers say there's no browser?

Post by Kevin Castro »

I’m getting back into ReactOS; and in a future thread, I will chronicle my hits and misses (and do’s and don’ts) with 0.4.9 in brand-new cheap hardware. But recently, I’ve been reading old and new reviews by ‘techies’ who assert that ReactOS has no browser. No browser?
[ external image ]
Last edited by Kevin Castro on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
Kevin Castro

Re: Reviewers say there's no browser?

Post by Kevin Castro »

I would have thought that a techie should realize that if an OS can download applications from its website, it must have a browser.
So if you use Windows 7 + Firefox Quantum (or XP/Vista + Firefox 52esr) to open the google homepage, you can click and drag the little planet to the desktop or a folder. You can then rename that file, "Internet", and transfer it to your real-hardware ReactOS desktop and/or the start menu).
[ external image ]
Last edited by Kevin Castro on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

(Until your network plays nicely, the safest method of file transfer is to make your ReactOS drive (in my case, a Samsung SSD) an outboard drive through sata cabling. It can then also be plugged in to other computers using a USB sata tail.)

If you then click on your new “Internet”, Wine Internet Explorer will dutifully open the google homepage. It struggles with many websites but it is, technically, a browser.

Better results are achieved by installing Firefox and an offline setup of flashplayer 31, but don’t expect too much—your processor will be limited to one core, running at what appears to be a speed limit of 1GHz.
[ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Needless to say, apart from the Wine Internet Explorer that you show up in these pictures (it needs you to install Wine Gecko though), you always have access to the ReactOS Apps (see shortcut on the desktop!) that allows you to install other webbrowsers (e.g. Firefox).