Download page missing important information for Newbies

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fraizeraust

Re: Download page missing important information for Newbies

Post by Fraizeraust »

oldman wrote:I think that you have just usurped dizt3mp3r on this, it is his topic; I hope he does not mind!
I was only helping him with this situation. Hopefully my actions are correct otherwise I apologise for this and I'll refrain from doing it anymore.
oldman wrote:In the above quote, the second paragraph needs a rewrite, it is written poorly (it needs dizt3mp3r attention) and you seem to be demanding that they do something, as apposed to asking them!
I know, I kinda rushed while making this report but can you give me a more concise, a proper description for the ticket report than mine?
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
oldman

Post by oldman »

Fraizeraust wrote:
oldman wrote:I think that you have just usurped dizt3mp3r on this, it is his topic; I hope he does not mind!
I was only helping him with this situation. Hopefully my actions are correct otherwise I apologise for this and I'll refrain from doing it anymore.
We will have to put it down to youthfully enthusiasm!
Fraizeraust wrote:
oldman wrote:In the above quote, the second paragraph needs a rewrite, it is written poorly (it needs dizt3mp3r attention) and you seem to be demanding that they do something, as apposed to asking them!
I know, I kinda rushed while making this report but can you give me a more concise, a proper description for the ticket report than mine?
Rushing is bad, you are bound to make mistakes, word it poorly and make typos. Write it, read it, then correct it, even re-read it again and if necessary, alter it, then when you are happy with what you have written, submit it.

I think I will leave this to dizt3mp3r to come up with the appropriate wording, after all, it is his topic, but you will have to edit the Description in the JIRA report, because I don't think he will be able to do that, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by oldman on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Thanks for the help (and for the defence oldman), both appreciated. I was progressing in a measured manner to avoid any resistance to perceived interference. Always good to be tactful with those that actually have to do the work. We need to convince them of its validity first or the work raising it is wasted.

The wording of the JIRA report is important so please word it along the lines of my/our original recommendations so that they (the devs) don't feel pressurised but that they do realise the importance of the request.

I'd be happy to provide an updated version of the recommended text to go on the web page but I have no doubt it will be amended in any case.

Regardless of the above it is always good to have positive support. So, thanks for that.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Oldman/Milon, thanks for the response.

I'm happy to contact them and refer them to this link, we'll see what the response is. For the moment feel free to recommend some suitable text that is more diplomatic than mine and hopefully it might be deemed to be suitable.
Why not use EmuandCo's signature?
Just add another line with it like this:
'So it is recommended to run ReactOS inside virtual environment only.'
Also preserve EmuandCo's text style if possible.(I mean bold text...etc)
Open Your Windows To Freedom
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Feel free to recommend any text you like, rewrite the lot if you want, I'll polish it up at the end if required. Make suggestions!
:)

All help appreciated.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Adcock wrote: Why not use EmuandCo's signature?
Because new people to the project will start at the front page and having read this:
Imagine running your favorite Windows applications and drivers in an open-source environment you can trust. That's ReactOS. Not just an Open but also a Free operating system.
will go to the Download It! button, because they want to see what the OS looks like. People are impatient! They are not going to go through every page, reading all about ReactOS! Once they take an interest in ReactOS, they will want to try it out. They will not wait and read all about first.

They will come to the Forum when they have tried the OS. Some to seek help, some to have a moan that it does not work and virtually say that it is rubbish, some even come to the Forum because they are excited that it worked for them and to show there delight.

If you read through this topic from the beginning, you will see what we are on about.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You should see the reviews on youtube rubbishing ReactOS, there is a generation of people that do before they think (us) , download, install and find it to be useless to them. They have high expections. When they see ReactOS fail they post 30 minute long videos on how rubbish ReactOS is. They do zero research and fail to understand. They also get thousands of viewers.

Others posts here daily and those that support ReactOS by supporting the forum see the same posts and observe the frustration felt by those posters.

Instead, people come here with hope, see ReactOS, are amazed by it, download, install, fail utterly, get cross, express their annoyance on the forum, are educated by us, become even more annoyed (who likes being told they were a bit dum?) and as a result swear never to use ReactOS again. It happens time and time again. How many others just fail and never try ReactOS again, slipping away quietly?

All of us have our prejudices and the lack of warning on the download page probably builds a larger community of haters than it does supporters. It needs to change.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

'oldman'
Don't you understand expressions?
I was talking about adding EmuandCo's signature to the download page.
How come 'oldman' did not understand?
That's wired.
Review:
dizt3mp3r wrote:Oldman/Milon, thanks for the response.

I'm happy to contact them and refer them to this link, we'll see what the response is. For the moment feel free to recommend some suitable text that is more diplomatic than mine and hopefully it might be deemed to be suitable.
Why not use EmuandCo's signature in the download page?

Ok. A more polished version:
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning
it is not feature-complete and is
recommended to run ReactOS on real hardware only for evaluation and
testing purposes
So it is recommended to run ReactOS
inside virtual environment only.
oldman wrote: Some thoughts and suggestions.
1. The Download page:
When you click on the button to down
load either of the cd ISO images, you
are presented with an overlay window
asking for donations!
a. How much is actually donated via
this window?
If the window (1a.) does not generate
any or very very little money, then it
could be used to warn people of the
potential hazards of installing ReactOS
in real hardware and the donations
request
'oldman'
Good idea.
I suggest a overlay window that will have three pages.
First one warning, second one donation, then actual download.
Pages will have next button but the next button on the first page will unlock after 5 seconds.

'dizt3mp3r'
Reading your last post I am under an impression that user 'oldman' is really an old man.
If that's true then devs should hurry.
Last edited by Adcock on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

OK, I have finally edited the description of the JIRA ticket, giving lots of information regarding the said issue. Not sure if it's 100% perfect enough but, at the very least, it's less aggressive than it was before and hopefully it does not bring pressure to the developers. I'd love to hear thoughts!

Still, I apologise for my wrong act and I thank oldman for showing my mistake! I'll try to not make this happen again in the future, I won't make further steps unless someone gives me the consent to do so.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

In general, this forum and similar locations are not forgiving locations for the newbie but you are doing fine! We all learn.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

A more polished version:
'ReactOS is still in alpha stage.
So it is not feature-complete.
It is not recommended to run ReactOS on real hardware.
It is recommended to run ReactOS
If you don't know what is virtual environment then see this guide.'

Give a link to a guide for 'this'.
The guide should also explain why ReactOS is not suitable for real hardware.
All of that must be written in a very basic form of English.
I think this one is more suitable for those who don't understand English very well.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Adcock wrote:A more polished version:
It is not recommended to run ReactOS on real hardware.

I think this one is more suitable for those who don't understand English very well.
Not recommended to run on real hardware? Not actually. How can someone test ReactOS on real hardware? This might scare testers away!

It may be changed to "It's not recommended to run ReactOS on real hardware you use daily, if you want to do this, please backup your data!
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well... My sig came from the former website tbh ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

You mean reactos.com?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

'ctasan' : I just tried to make things clear.
You use the one you see fit.
No problem.
I just thought that EmuandCo's signature is very compact and clear.
But there is an issue of people not very good in English.
I don't know what can be done for them.
What ever it is going to be, it has to be small, clear, easy to remember, easy to read and easy to understand.
Edit:
A more polished version:
It is not recommended to run ReactOS on real hardware that you use daily.

Updated with catasan's recommendation.