MS WinFile OpenSource

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

theuserbl

MS WinFile OpenSource

Post by theuserbl »

As a german NewsSite at
https://www.deskmodder.de/blog/2018/04/ ... eigegeben/
mentioned, Microsoft published its Windows NT4 WinFile under the MIT license:

https://github.com/Microsoft/winfile
https://github.com/Microsoft/winfile/releases

Hopefully they will next time publishing notepad.exe as OpenSource </irony>

Greatings
theuserbl
erkinalp

Re: MS WinFile OpenSource

Post by erkinalp »

I think that it is not allowed for ReactOS contributors to look at winfile source code AFAIK (you cannot look at Windows source code even in cases it is legal to copy into ReactOS). ReactOS is and will stay a free software reimplementation, not a clone, of Windows. However, you can incorporate winfile into your private fork of ReactOS.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

https://github.com/Microsoft/winfile/bl ... er/LICENSE we are allowed, but I don't think it's of any use at all.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Legally, yes. Policy, no. You know previous legal and ethical issues around "Windows clone".
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

It would not be the first open source software from microsoft we use.

Well, we have winefile, so why not use the original one instead if it has a proper license?
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

We have to be politically correct. Just like GNU and OpenStreetMap. Not like Linux or Wikipedia.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

No one cares about GNU and what they call 'politics', we care about licenses and legality. MIT is a license we can use and already DO use as gonzoMD correctly said. We already have open source MS code in our code base. There is nothing wrong in doing so if they license it in a useable way and this changes NOTHING regarding whatever legal and ethical issues you are talking about. First saying "Legally, yes" and then "legal [...] issues" in one sentence is a bit.... questionable. And this whole discussion is absolutely useless because no one needs a old winfile.

If you are meaning OpenStreetMap because they started from zero and worked all the way to what they are now and thus all is their work (fits rather good to a big amount of our repo btw), good luck trying this with a 'clone'. We have a API and a architecture we have to follow or we are utterly useless like all those strange and useless OSes out there no one cares about (here it does not fit as you might have guessed). We stay legal, but trying to force us to some strange, uneconomical and irrational GNU 'ethics' is useless and anyone who thinks we have to follow em is wrong here.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

no one needs a old winfile
Still usable as a file manager, just not API compatible with Windows explorer.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
cb88

Post by cb88 »

no one needs a old winfile
Sure, no one needs it, but that doesn't mean no one wants it. Nostalgia can be a powerful ally! I for one wish there was a version of edit on ReactOS I know notepad is better in most every way but... still I used to read using edit quite alot and it would be nice to have.

First thing I thought when I saw it was MIT licensed was that it would be neat to run it on ReactOS. Currently it starts up but crashes shortly after launch even if it isn't in the codebase it would be nice if it at least worked, I imagine it will once someone gets a round-to-it.

As a side note, AC97 sound is working again in VirtualBox for me in 4.8-RC0 so that's good... just had to install the driver and reboot 2-3 times.
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

I also agree to not include MS Winfile source code.
But if I can say my opinion, nothing blocks us to get the link to the binary of this program, available in the release page, and add it to rapps.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

+1 for adding it in rapps.
Also remember we have "win(e)file" that does (almost) the same job (and that has this retro look); it just doesn't support setting security attributes to files though.
Xbase

Post by Xbase »

did someone test that Winfile Source under ROS :?:

i have made a win32 App with VS2017 Express which run under Windows but not under ROS :o
"unable to initialize Background Update Support ... ERROR_PROC_NOT_FOUND"
can someone tell me how to fix it to run under ROS :?: (i'm not a C# Programmer)
middings

Post by middings »

Xbase wrote:i have made a win32 App with VS2017 Express which run under Windows but not under ROS :o
...can someone tell me how to fix it to run under ROS :?: (i'm not a C# Programmer)
Start a new topic in the Support forum for this problem. When writing your post, surround your program's code with the Code tag.

Pro tips:
Use good written English in this ReactOS forum. The first language of many ReactOS fans is not English. Be considerate of them.
Email tip: Choose a subject line that is meaningful to the recipient, not to the sender by Raymond Chen
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way by Eric Raymond
Email tip: When asking for help with a problem, also mention what you’ve already tried by Raymond Chen
How to Report Bugs Effectively by Simon Tatham
Xbase

Post by Xbase »

hi,

thx for Answer.
middings wrote:Start a new topic in the Support forum for this problem.
When writing your post, surround your program's code with the Code tag.
it is THE topic of this Thread : does it run or not under ROS :?:

i have not touch MS Winfile Source Code, just compile/link it as 32bit App
i just want to know if someone get it run under ROS, if yes how, that all.