Trying the self compile, but takes forever

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Julcar

Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by Julcar »

I am testing the self-compiling on real hardware, as my ReactOS installation has no networking connection, I cloned the git repo on linux, and saved the source in E:\ReactOS\SRC, and installed RosBE in E:\RosBE

Running RosBE with E:\ReactOS\SRC as baseaddress, I execute the configure.cmd script, and here is where I can't go ahead, the script seems to hang after showing "Configuring done" in console and leaves Cmake.exe taking all of my cpu.

I tried leaving the laptop alone a couple of hours executing the configure.cmd but there is no result, in windows xp it takes about 30 minutes and then the output-MinGW-i386 folder is created, but in my case I cannot reach that step, maybe I am doing something wrong, give me a hand please.
cb88

Re: Trying the self compile, but takes forever

Post by cb88 »

I tried checking out the source in a VM.... the initial checkout worked but git errored out with EINVAIL I think it as every time after that so I could't do anything like switch branches or even checkout again,...

I suspect BTRFS may work better than FAT32 once it's ready.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Julcar wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:38 pmI tried leaving the laptop alone a couple of hours executing the configure.cmd but there is no result, in windows xp it takes about 30 minutes and then the output-MinGW-i386 folder is created, but in my case I cannot reach that step, maybe I am doing something wrong, give me a hand please.
Self-compile works, but requires more hours to complete.

Initial configuration takes around 6 hours on Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, and full build process takes around 10 hours.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

I leave it 8 hours (then I go to bed) and still the cmake.exe process was taking 100% of cpu and the process was incomplete, I think this could be improved in performance
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

Well yeah. People are saying it works. Nobody is saying it's performant or recommended ;)

By the way, if running configure.cmd in XP already takes 30 minutes for you, your machine is likely slower than most, meaning it will take even longer in ROS than the estimates given by others.

There should be some low-hanging fruit in terms of build performance though, perhaps some of them can be picked up during the Hackfest.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

Also note XP has SMP... and ReactOS doesn't so you get no benefit from multiple cores (even if the build process is single threaded it would still be faster on an SMP machine).
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

cb88 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 pm Also note XP has SMP... and ReactOS doesn't so you get no benefit from multiple cores (even if the build process is single threaded it would still be faster on an SMP machine).
That was a question I'd like to do on another thread, why RoS does not support more than 1 core?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Julcar wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm why RoS does not support more than 1 core?
You should start a new thread for a new topic. But the essence of it is that it's much harder to debug anything that's parallelized. Race conditions, etc...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Julcar wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm
cb88 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 pm Also note XP has SMP... and ReactOS doesn't so you get no benefit from multiple cores (even if the build process is single threaded it would still be faster on an SMP machine).
That was a question I'd like to do on another thread, why RoS does not support more than 1 core?
Why? Simply because NO competent person is here to complete what needs to be added in the kernel and in a HAL to support this.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

hbelusca wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:01 pm
Julcar wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm
Why? Simply because NO competent person is here to complete what needs to be added in the kernel and in a HAL to support this.
I trust on the capabilities of the current devs, keep in mind that a multicore support would give to ReactOS a stronger feature, as in nowadays almost every cpu on the market hast at least 2 cores, that could be a great project for the community
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

We still have first priority issues before adding multicore support...
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
cb88

Post by cb88 »

I figure it's an issue that will solve itself as it gets stable enough for developers to actually run natively and develop/build reactos on.

Being self hosting means it's very close to that... I would think developing reactos, on reactos should be pretty attractive to it's developers.