Design decisions about ENIW

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

Design decisions about ENIW

Post by erkinalp »

This is a forum thread to discuss design decisions about CORE-13613 with users. Deeper discussions go to mailing list.
First ideas on architecture:

Code: Select all

Linux app                     systemd  <> systemd2svchost                               regular Windows userland
             User-mode Linux kernel                 SVCHOST                             regular Windows services
                         ENIW.SYS                                                       regular Windows drivers
--------------------------         NTOSKRNL.EXE     ---------------------------------------------------
ENIW: ENIW Never Imitated WSL
systemd2svchost: A user-mode service translator which runs on top of SVCHOST to enable systemd units to run on ReactOS just as they run on Linux.
Last edited by erkinalp on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Design decisions about ENIW

Post by hbelusca »

Deeper discussions go to JIRA thread.
Certainly not. JIRA is a bug reporter, and only correctly-designed ideas may go in it.
anthracen

Post by anthracen »

here we go again. erkinalp, I thought you are all hardworking on OOM killer and deep intergrating KDE into reactos. :lol: are you sure you can handle implementing in ros yet another linux trash? :lol: oh, wait, I got it, you even weren't going to do a thing about it, right? you just are all full of brilliant ideas, let others implement them? :D interesting why there is so few idiots to try to do that. whereas ideas are just brlilliant. and brillianter. :lol:
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

hardworking on OOM killer
I said a ReactOS fork may make use of it, not that I am going to work on it. Notice indefinite article.
deep intergrating KDE
Started research and opened bugtracker entries on it. Still uncertain on what parts of Qt needs to be vastly modified to be deeply integrated to ReactOS with deep KDE integration. KDE SC itself does not need that much of modification, it needs slight modifications and a branding work.

I am analyzing systemd and svchost to start working on systemd2svchost. systemd is way more complex than svchost despite Windows kernel being way more complex than Linux kernel.
A more experienced developer may work on ENIW.SYS.
A question to more experienced developers: Is current svchost implementation complete?
Last edited by erkinalp on Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2